Necessary Dietary Guidelines – Please Follow
Traditionally there are special diets that accompany many spiritual practices throughout the world. Fasting, avoiding and consuming specific foods and many other lifestyle alterations to optimize and create a state in the one that is strictly adhering to such regimes to create within oneself the openness and ability for information, growth and connection with the proper intent to reach greater levels of awareness and understanding. The traditional diets for the Shamans that work with Ayahuasca spend months in the jungle having minimal or no other human contact and absoulutley no sexual contact, only consuming boiled or roasted fish, plantains, rice, and yucca containing no salt, sugar or oil.
Over time of such strict diets and isolation while working in ceremony with the Ayahuasca a whole new world opens up to them and they begin to be taught many thing about life, the spirit world and the medicinal plants that can be used to help cure and treat many conditions and diseases. When they return from their long diet they then begin to use their new found knowledge to help heal on a physical and spiritual energetic level people who need such healing and help.
Wanting the most out of the retreat I recommend cleaning up ones diet and reducing stimulus of the senses about a month before the retreat so the mind can be in a more receptive, aware and more conscious state to reap the greatest benefit and vision. Ideally a very strict diet even though not necessary I recommend would benefit you the most. The stricter the diet the more lasting and profound the changes will become, so it is very important to take serious this work for what it is and prepare mentally and physically before your visit with us.
Here is listed the necessary diet before you travel to Peru and work in ceremony with Ayahuasca, and if you choose to further immerse yourself for a richer experience, I recommend a stricter diet over a longer duration before you come.
**Absolutely no PORK two weeks prior to your first ceremony**
Street Drugs & Alcohol
Abstinence from all street drugs & alcohol at least 2 weeks prior to your first ceremony. I recommend 4 weeks for a little more time, for your brain, to balance more, before you come, yet 4 weeks is not mandatory, 2 weeks will suffice.
Avoid sexual contact for a minimum of 3 days prior to your first ceremony. I recommend a week or more if possible and absolutely no sexual contact during the time with the sacred medicines.
Any medicines or supplements that will react negatively with MAOI inhibitors need to be discontinued a minimum of two weeks before having your first ceremony. Because the Ayahuasca vine contains the plant chemical harmaline, which is an MAOI inhibitor. A list is provided below but I recommend you speak with your doctor and do your diligent research to make sure any medication you need, will not be a potential for harm to yourself while working with the sacred medicine Ayahuasca.
**Two to four weeks are necessary to be free from such medications to avoid any serious health consequences**
I would still double check with your doctor if your medication is not on the list. If the drug you are taking is not on this list please check with your doctor if it has a negative reaction with an MAOI inhibitor. If you are taking any of these drugs you must stop taking them at least two weeks before your first ceremony with Ayahuasca.
Restricted Drug List
- Citalopram (Celexa,Cipramil)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro, Cipralex, Seroplex, Lexamil)
- Fluoxetine (Prozac,Sarafem, Symbyax) (requires 4 week abstinence)
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- Paroxetine (Paxil, Aropax)
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)
- Duloxetine (Cymbalta)
- Milnacipran (Ixel)
- Venlafaxine (Efflexor)
- Sibutramine (Sibutramina, Meridia, Obestat, Rectiva, Raductil,)
- Clomipramime (Anafranil)
- Imipramine (Tofranil)
- Protriptyline (Vivactil)
- Vilazodone (Viibryd)
- Pethidine (meperidine) (Demerol) could be fatal reacton.
- Tremadol (Ultram)
- Dextropropoxyphene (Darvon)
- Pentazocine (Talwin, Fortral)
- Chlorpheniramine (Hystop, Chlor-Trimeton, Piriton, HISTA-12)
- Bromopheniramine (Bromafed, Dimetapp, Bromfenex, Dimetane, BPN, Lodrane)
- Linzolid (Zylox)
- Nitrofuran (Furoxone)
- Procarbizide (Matulane)
- Nudexa (dextromethorphan and quinidine sulfate)
- MDMA (ecstacy)
These Herbs Should not be consumed for at least two weeks before your first ceremony.
• St. Johns Wort
• Velvet Bean
* All other herbs if they are not necessary should be avoided during the time period of the ceremonies.
MAOI Interaction Food List
There are many foods that are cross reactive with the MAOI inhibitor harmaline that is contained in the Ayahuasca vine. Below will take you to a food list that contains foods to be avoided. This should not be a problem since we will be providing all the meals during your stay while at the lodge. All the foods on this list are cross reactive with Ayahuasca and should be avoided at least twenty four hours before your first ceremony and not consumed during your stay at the retreat.
- Meat that is not fresh do not consume
- Do not consume any smoked, pickled or un-fresh fish
- Aged Cheeses
- Sausage, Pepperoni,salami,corned beef
- Protein extracts
- Powdered or liquid protein supplements
- Yeast vitamin supplements, Brewers yeast or yeast extracts
- Soy sauce, fermented tofu, fermented soybean paste,fermented bean curd
- Canned soups, soups made with bullion or protein extracts
- Shrimp Paste
- Fruits that are bruised or even slightly overripe, raisins and other dried fruit, especially over ripe bananas and apples
- Miso Soup
- Avacadoes, if ripe or overripe (slightly underripe avacados ore ok)
- Wine ,beer and ales
- Dairy if it is close to expiration date
- Fava beans
- Any beverage containing caffeine (large ammounts) a little tea in moderation is ok.
The reason to avoid these foods, over ripe fruits and old meats is because they contain tyramines that can have a dangerous reaction with the MAOI Harmaline that is present in the Ayahuasca vine.